Category Archives: Then And Now

Preparations for the Visit of Earl Grey to Edmonton in 1909

EarlGrey1909
Image courtesy of Peel’s Prairie Provinces, a digital initiative of the University of Alberta Libraries.


View Larger Map

Victoria Ave. E. 1912 – Le Marchand Mansion in the Background

Looking East on Victoria Avenue from 118th Street, Edmonton, Alberta

Looking East on Victoria Avenue from 118th Street, Edmonton, Alberta

Image courtesy of Peel’s Prairie Provinces, a digital initiative of the University of Alberta Libraries.

G.T.P. Hotel Macdonald, Edmonton – approx 1915

View of the MacDonald Hotel and various businesses on 100 Street sometime after 1915

View of the MacDonald Hotel and various businesses on 100 Street sometime after 1915


Image courtesy of Peel’s Prairie Provinces, a digital initiative of the University of Alberta Libraries.

112 Street & 99 Ave in 1910

It’s neat to see the growth of the trees since 1910!

Mckay Ave

View Larger Map

 

Image courtesy of Peel’s Prairie Provinces, a digital initiative of the University of Alberta Libraries.

30 year timelapse of Edmonton

Today’s Edmonton | Then & Now post is a special one. Google, in partnership with U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), NASA and TIME, combined 30 years of satellite imagery to create a stunning timelapse map of the Earth!

Above is a screen capture of Edmonton’s growth since 1984. Two of the most notable features I see are the urban sprawl, and the building of Anthony Henday Drive. What do you notice?

You can view this and other significant areas on earth; including the Dubai Palm Islands, and the Deforestation of Brazils Rainforests here: http://earthengine.google.org/#timelapse/v=53.53131,-113.40686,9,latLng&t=2.80

Saskatchewan Avenue | Edmonton in 1915

Saskatchewan Avenue Edmonton 1915
View Larger Map

This photo was submitted on our facebook page, and is courtesy of Peel’s Prairie Provinces, a digital initiative of the University of Alberta Libraries.

Norwood School – Edmonton 1910

Norwood school Edmonton 1910
View Larger Map

“On this site, on February 15, 1909, the present Norwood School was officially opened to replace the two frame structures which had been the Norwood School since 1906.

Originally, this red brick Renaissance-style structure had ten classrooms for its four hundred students.  The architect, R.W. Lines, is recognized as having been one of the foremost members of his profession.  His skill resulted in a building that is not only functional and durable, but attractive as well.

The dedicated teachers of Norwood School continue to maintain a tradition of implementing innovative courses for the many special programs at the school.”

-Edmonton Historical Board

 

Image courtesy of Peel’s Prairie Provinces, a digital initiative of the University of Alberta Libraries.